[CREATE] Color swatches

Olivier BERTEN olivier.berten at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 08:16:44 PDT 2008

Hello!

It's been a while now that I've been analyzing color swatches in
different software. Here is the result of my work:
http://www.selapa.net/couleurs/fileformats.php (it's an update of
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Talk:New_Colours_Format with another
presentation). If someone has informations about other formats or
precisions about these ones, I'd be happy to add it to the list...

I also started writing a conversion script (attached). For now, it can
only read pal (riff), aco, act, acb (adobe and autocad unencrypted
only), ase, acf, bcf, clr (colors only), cpl, qcl, bcs, cs. No write
function is there yet. It returns a dictionary with the content of the
swatch. All values are kept as in the original file, that's why there's
a 'orig' field in the dictionary. I'm pretty new to python programming
so my code is probably not optimal...

Now some thoughts about color swatches in general and about the CREATE
draft:

Registration color

IMHO, this shouldn't come in a color swatch file. It's a "system" color,
just the opposite of 'None'. It depends of the colors used in the
document. If you're using only cyan in your document, registration will
be 100% cyan. If your document contains only magenta and yellow,
registration will be red. And if you have spot colors, registration
won't be C=100% M=100% Y=100% K=100%. In other words, registration can't
be defined out of the document's context. Registration should just be
added in the software's color list for any press work.

Color swatch draft
<http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/index.php/Swatches_-_colour_file_format/Draft>

The name and space attributes shouldn't be mandatory. A color doesn't
need a name to come into a palette and many palettes are just a
arbitrary "geometrical" division of the possibilities of color model.
When you have #003399 in a palette, it's not because it looks like
anything in real life, it's just because its neighbors are #003366 and
#0033CC. It just shows different possibilities of RGB, whether you're
using sRGB or AdobeRGB doesn't matter. The same applies to "Black 20%"
(or C=10% M=20% Y=30% K%). There are a lot of such palettes where
neither the name or the color space have any importance. By the way, Lab
and XYZ don't need any color space since these are device-independant
models.

That model also lacks swatch informations (name, copyright, license,
...) and swatch-wide settings ("all rgb values are in Adobe1998 color
space", "all color names start with 'PANTONE' and end with 'C'", ...).

Olivier