[CREATE] Open Colour Standard(s) and LGM

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Mon Nov 9 20:17:09 PST 2009

Hi all,

At least for those who are interested in commercial printing I have good news.

I have been contacted by a manager of one of largest ink producers of the
world. The company is currently developing a new colour matching system for
printing. The system is different from Pantone or Toyo in that it connects
CMYK values to a particular colour profile (but it also contains alternative
L*a*b values). They will offer the colour palettes at no charge, probably
also under an open license, but on the condition that modified palettes be
distributed only on the condition that any reference to the company or the
CMS be removed, as changing the values or names would defy the purpose of a
standard.

After some back and forth via email, the manager also suggested the creation
of an Open Colour Standard for printing. He suggested 30--50 base colours,
which would result in about 1200 tints. The company would participate in an
open process that will lead to the creation of the standard and then print
and distribute the colour fans (and the ink, of course) for different
printing processes.

The major advantage is that the vendor has absolutely no interest in revenue
from licensing "intellectual property", but is focussed on selling inks and
printing utilities, like cleaning chemicals or colour fans instead.

Finally, the guy is eager to attend LGM and discuss all the details with us in
Brussels :)

I invited him to join the #lgm channel and, of course, to subscribe to this
mailing list.

Cheers,

Christoph