[CREATE] schema required for XML format?

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at pdfsages.com
Mon Apr 19 08:17:17 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:

> Someone else tries to implement spectral data handling with the XML based
> CxF format [1] for Oyranos. The documentation of CxF3 comes with a schema.
> The CxF schema license is incompatible with open source.

As the ISO committee responsible for CxF is meeting tomorrow, can you please
explain (in as much detail as possible) what is wrong with the license for
the schema?  I will be happy to bring it up for discussion and get it fixed.

I will point out that v3 is still in development - the current standardized
version of CxF is v2.  Does the v2 schema, as distributed by the ISO, have
the same issue?

> My question is,
> Can a XML based format be properly implemented without the accompanying
> schema? Would it render a great disadvantage to be not able to use and
> distribute the available schema because of license issues? E.g. having the
> XML Namespace refering to a URL with non redistributeable content.

The schema is only necessary if you wish to validate that the XML conforms
to the grammar.

Leonard