[CREATE] Fwd: Re: [LGF-LGA] Ok, let's start with a website

Schrijver eric at authoritism.net
Sun Aug 22 17:42:31 PDT 2010

Op 22 aug 2010, om 04:35 heeft Yuval Levy het volgende geschreven:

> On August 19, 2010 10:53:16 am Camille Bissuel wrote:
>> I assume that no proprietary software will be put in the
>> software directory
>
> Why not?
>
> As a creator I believe I have the right to mix and match proprietary and Free
> tools.
>
> I want the directory to help me make an informed choice.  This includes
> information on all tools, not just Free ones.

> <snip>

I figured Camille meant actual mistakes like:
listing Illustrator under a list of free software programs

Because whichever stance you take, that’s incorrect.

That Camille implied:
the site needs an editor.

To which I would agree :)

If you want politics on the subject of websites and mentioning software, read this:
http://www.gnu.org/server/standards/README.webmastering.html#pollinking

I think (hope!) we can be more pragmatic than that.

Seeing how most contemporary designers work at the moment work with *only* proprietary software, I think you would be hard pressed to explain what we are doing without mentioning it.

In fact, I think a lot can be gained by showing how open standards and open tools can come into an existing workflow.

Like: how can I use Adobe Illustrator to make SVG
Or: how can I use MacPorts to install Unix software

Partly because these act like gateway drugs
(to inkscape and linux in this case);

And partly because the practice of professional designers will, for the foreseeable future, be a mix of both kinds of software, and that’s a situation we should be able to deal with.

cheers
Eric