[CREATE] LGM2010 Exact Dates?

Dave Neary dneary at free.fr
Tue Feb 2 01:47:14 PST 2010

Hi,

Jon Phillips wrote:
> I wish we could do one day as unconference
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconference

For Sunday in the first one, we *kind of* did that. The entire day was
unstructured and unplanned, except for 3 "get together" times which are
important - morning, after lunch, and end of the day.

> I think 1-2 days structured, then 1 day unstructured, but with
> leadership is great. I can lead that day with you guys if you want to
> do that...its becoming more popular now.

The leadership is key - you need to give a dynamic to the day, but not
too much. There needs to be some structure, but not too much. Not many
rules, but there needs to be just enough.

And session leaders - need to be good. I've been at too many
unconferences where the session leader was running a round-table session
that ended up being a monoogue, or a conversation between 2 people
observed by everyone else. If it's going to be a presentation, let that
be clear from the start. But a brainstorm or round-table must have an
inclusive session leader at its head. Think Jerry Springer :)

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary