[CREATE] Questions and reflections about gradients

Olivier BERTEN olivier.berten at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 15:23:44 PDT 2010

Le 04/11/10 13:56, Gregory Pittman a écrit :
> On 11/03/2010 08:34 PM, Sven Langkamp wrote:
> Nothing was seen to suggest a significant neuropathic process in the
> right upper extremity.>
>> The main difference of the segmented gradients is that can have
>> different interpolations per segment. There are interpolations like
>> sinus and color interpolations like HSV. Of course in probably 99% of
>> the cases just linear is used. For the application it doesn't really
>> matter if the gradient comes as stop or segment gradient. In Krita we
>> can use can use both types and for Karbon we convert Gimp gradients to
>> stop gradients (with potential loss of some features).
>>
> I think that stops or endpoints, then having the interpolation being a
> family of mathematical interpretations gives the most flexibility. It
> is good here not to be trapped by what others are doing or what has
> been done before. I could imagine that 3rd or 4th order polynomial
> equations as the basis for the interpolation could produce some
> interesting results, not mention some Mandelbrot-like equations.
>
> Greg
Thanks ;-)

In the current state of my reflection, here is how I see the format: A
gradient contains stops (nothing new). These stops could be either start
or end points... I would rather go for start points as you need to have
at least one and if you don't have a next one, you can just stay on it.
To that stop, you would give a color (defined elsewhere in the swatch
book) and a position. Then we need to know how to get from one stop to
the other: this could be defined both at a gradient level or at stop
level (how to get to the next one), the stop level definition having
precedence over the gradient one. That definition would be either
keyword referring to a well documented formula, or a complete formula. I
wonder if the midpoint should be part of the formula or an argument,
presented as it.
I think this should cover all the needs...

Olivier