[CREATE] Questions about the Libre Graphics brand

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 09:32:01 PDT 2012

2012/4/11 Gábor Udvari <gabor.udvari at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am Gábor Udvari, 25 years old free software enthusiast from Hungary,
> web-developer by profession, but a wanna-be artist contributing to
> OpenArena, Battle for Wesnoth (Hungarian community), Ubuntu (Hungarian
> community) and Firefox (Hungarian community). I would like to ask some
> questions about the Libre Graphics brand, if such thing exists or not,
> and what's the connection between the Libre Graphics World and the Libre
> Graphics Magazine.
>
> Hungary is a small country with less than 10 million people, thus the
> number of free software volunteers is extremely small. Due to this small
> number only a handful of free software communities can manage a separate
> homepage, and even those homepages which exist are often abandoned or
> outdated. The two examples of this are http://gimp.hu, which was not
> updated since 2009, and http://blender.hu which is quite active, but the
> design and the UX is stuck in the 90s. Other free software community
> homepages like Inkscape or Scribus are not even started. News, such like
> the Liberated Pixel Cup (http://lpc.opengameart.org/) do not have a
> place and they cannot reach the proper audience.
>
> Therefore I was thinking that instead of trying to improve every single
> community homepage, I should start a free software graphical portal to
> bind all the little communities and effort together. An important part
> of starting such an undertaking is branding.
>
> I would like to ask about the possibilities and conditions of using the
> Libre Graphics or Libre Graphics World brand as a title of a Hungarian
> portal, like libregraphicsworld.hu . Is Libre Graphics a brand on its
> own? What is the connection between Libre Graphics World, Libre Graphics
> Magazine and Libre Graphics Meeting? Can I start a Hungarian portal to
> support the libre graphics movement, can we be part of the family? Since
> Libre Graphics Meeting is coming to Vienna this year, this would be an
> excellent year to start a community project in a country next to Austria.
>
> Eagerly waiting for your reply:
> Gábor Udvari

Hi Gábor,

Libre Graphics Meeting was started in 2006 as an extended version of
the annual GIMP developers meeting. Organizers are usually more
affiliated with Scribus project than with any other project.

Libre Graphics World was started in 2009 by me a) as an English
version of linuxgraphics.ru (started in 2006) and b) as a result of
some discussions at LGM2009. I don't really remember the exact reasons
for the name picking, AFAIK, I just needed something familiar and I
wasn't imaginative enough.

Libre Graphics Magazine was started, AFAIK, in late 2010 by ginger
coons and Manufactura Independente. I'm not sure I know the exact
reasoning either. Perhaps the editorial staff will explain that.

All three LG* projects are friends, but, to the best of my knowledge,
not officially affiliated. At least this is the case for LGW.

In my opinion, "Libre Graphics World" is an unfortunate choice for the
brand name, but so far I haven't been able to come up with anything
more sensible. I don't have a particular opinion about
libregraphicsworld.hu right now other than it's a damn too long name
that people are going to hate and fail to understand :)

I'm CCing my reply to CREATE mailing list where LGM and LGmag folks reside.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org