[CREATE] LGM 2012 Travel Expenses

Andreas Vox avox at arcor.de
Thu May 10 09:01:29 PDT 2012

> From: Louis Desjardins <louis.desjardins at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CREATE] LGM 2012 Travel Expenses
> To: "a.l.e" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>
> Cc: Create ML <create at lists.freedesktop.org>
>
> 2012/5/10 a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>
>
>> i also have a remark. our policy is to reimburse the travel expenses at
>> the prorata of the money we could collect.
>>
>> while in the past we could always reimburse all the people asking for it,
>> for the first time this year it's likely that we won't be able to full
>> refund the costs (it all depends on who will be asking, so we don't know
>> yet for sure; last year we also thought that the finances were too
>> tight...).
>>
>> personally, i'd like to make a change in that policy and first full
>> reimburse the people that had travel costs which are a multiple of their
>> monthly income (i think that we only have one such case), then reimburse
>> those who had costs that correpsond to a big part of their monthly income
>> (probably 2 or 3 such cases) and finally distribute the rest among the
>> other people asking for a refund.
>>
>> we don't need to ask for income details, we should be able to guess it
>> ourselves for some people and other can tell (and have already told) us
>> that it's important for them to get refundend.

> While I think there is a great heart and a very good intention behind that
> proposal, I would be more encline to stick with what has always been the
> rule. Otherwise it opens the door to arbitrary calls and knowing the
> situation of one or a few people doen?t make the exercice more fair as some
> people might be in a difficult situation as well and won?t tell about it.
>
> Let?s first determine what the needs are. Ony then will we know the height
> of the percentage of the reimbursements for each person asking of it.
> Meanwhile, money is still coming in, slowly but...
>
> It is always up to anyone to ask for a reimbursement. We?ll give until end
> of this month period to fill the form and then we?ll know.

I have another proposal: ask the applicants in the form for a priority:

Prio 1: I really need the money, please reimburse me fully if possible. (This would be the default)
Prio 2: I could use the money, but I understand that people from prio 1 have greater need and so I want them reimbursed fully before I get any money
Prio 3: I don't need the money, but before it stays sitting in the bank, please reimburse me

Then it would be a matter of courtesy for people to pick prio 2 or 3 for themselves and we don't have to decide or discuss.

/Andreas