Autosave D-BUS message?

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Thu Jun 30 02:36:47 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 16:09, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 09:13 +0200, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > What kind of preparations do we expect applications to take? Is there
> > anything other than "The network is about to die"
>
> Unfortunately it's more like "the network just died" which makes it much
> more difficult to for apps to cope with.

That depends when the application gets the message, no? If the application
gets the message when you are about to suspend, the network should  still be
there. For this to work the application must have the possibility to delay
the suspend somewhat till it is actually finished cleaning up, otherwise
there is the risk that the application ends up cleaning the connection when
it resumes instead of before the suspend.

> > that applications may be concerned
> > about?
>
> Well, some apps really don't want some transaction to be interrupted -
> the CD burning example I gave in the other mail is valid I think.

Ideally you would want to alert the user to that situation and ask whether he
wants to continue with the suspend. (Similar to the situation when the user
would press "logout" and the session manager starts to clean up) However
there may be situations where there is no possibility to have
user-interaction (low-bat, lid closed), in that situation the suspend
shouldn't be delayed for a very long time and the CD burning should stop as
soon as possible.

> So, basically you want to provide both state-change information about
> connection to networks as well as power management. There was a BOF
> about power management at GUADEC and some more (crackful) ideas like
> sending out a signal "the disk is now spinned up" for applications to
> catch and automatically opportunistically auto save open documents came

Is there a wiki somewhere were the ideas from the BOF have been captured?

> up too. I think it's pretty important to keep these interfaces simple
> and clean otherwise no-one will bother use them.

I think it's important to differentiate between "about to suspend" and "just
resumed" though.

> There may be other things too than networking and power management.
>
> > Because that's something that you may want to handle as part of a more
> > generic online/offline network manager service.
>
> Yea - NetworkManager already does this FWIW.
>
>     David

Cheers,
Waldo