cross compilation problems

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 13:38:28 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 11:32 -0400, Dave Plauger wrote:

> Here are some of my thoughts:
>
> 1) I need only a system daemon in my embedded system

System and session daemons are just a matter of what config file they
read.

> 2) abstract sockets are OK for this case
> 3) would like to have placement option in the config for system.conf
>     e.g.: put system.conf in /etc, put pid file in /var

doesn't --sysconfdir and --localstatedir handle this at configure time
or am I not clear on what you are suggesting?

> 4) like to use auto start feature with system daemon
>     It's easier to let dbus-daemon start up services on demand (system init)
>     If a service crashes or exits, it can come back (robustness)

This requires either an external activation daemon that talks with the
system bug or you can simply run the bus as the root user and add a
service directory directive in the system.conf file.  There may be some
security concerns when running the bus as root.

> 5) We use the C binding only, dont have much space in flash/ram

You can disable all bindings using --disable-<binding> switches in the
configure stage (use ./configure --help to see a listing of switches).