DBus Threading in a Late-loading module

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Wed Apr 4 20:38:41 PDT 2007

Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 at 03:33:35 +0200, nf2 wrote:
>
>> The conceptually prettiest solution would of course be Qt using the
>> dbus-glib binding along with glib main loop integration...
>>

> dbus-glib is very idiosyncratic - it's not really a GLib binding, but
> rather a GObject binding. It's designed for GObject application
> programmers, following GObject conventions and assumptions, and I think it's
> unlikely to make a good platform on which to implement any other binding.
> Other environments like Qt (and for that matter Python) have their own
> incompatible conventions and idiosyncracies.

sorry - that was a misunderstanding - with dbus-glib bindings i meant
the dbus glib main loop hook, which should probably be separated from
the glib binding.

> The only part of dbus-glib I use in dbus-python is the main loop hook -
> I believe that's all Alp uses GLib for in his .net bindings, too.
>
> As I've said previously, I plan to work on main loop abstractions in
> dbus-python in a couple of weeks - that work might turn out to be a
> useful prototype for an alternative way to handle multiple main loops in C.

i think "avahi" already has such a main loop abstraction (also for using
dbus internally), but is it really worth the effort, if in the end glib
main loop will become standard?

http://avahi.org/browser/trunk/avahi-common/watch.h

norbert