System bus activation and "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoMemory" exception

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Tue Dec 18 06:56:41 PST 2007

Hi,

I've installed DBus 1.1.2 for being able to work with the new system bus
activation facility.
I've created a .service file in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services. Okay,
here's the steps to reproduce the problem:

1.I'm plugging a USB printer which triggers the creation of a HAL callout,
2.The callout detects the printer and invokes a dummy method GetReady.
Upon invocation, the dbus-daemon-launch helper launches the executable
parsed from the related .service file. At this point the executable is
running correctly.

obj = bus.get_object("com.redhat.NewPrinterNotification",

"/com/redhat/NewPrinterNotification")
notification = dbus.Interface(obj, "com.redhat.NewPrinterNotification")
ret = notification.GetReady ()
syslog (LOG_DEBUG, "GetReady returned with %s" % ret)

Well this code snippet from the hal callout fails without dumping the
return value to syslog, here's the exception that I receive:

D-Bus method call failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoMemory: Launcher
could not run (out of memory)

Thanks.
Ozan CAGLAYAN