How does a home user fix a broken DBUS ?

Rod Butcher rbutcher at hyenainternet.com
Fri Jan 5 15:50:59 PST 2007

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Rod Butcher wrote:
>>> Perhaps you compiled dbus to look in /usr/local/share or something?
>> This is the output from configuration.
>
> Nothing jumps out at me. You'll have to debug it further - that's the
> point of home-brewing a distribution right? ;-)
Ok, debugging so far :-
Breakpoint 2, _dbus_pending_call_set_timeout_error_unlocked
(pending=0x5b2210, message=0x5b2d00,
     serial=1) at dbus-pending-call.c:339
339     {
(gdb) s
343       reply = dbus_message_new_error (message, DBUS_ERROR_NO_REPLY,
(gdb)
339     {
(gdb)
343       reply = dbus_message_new_error (message, DBUS_ERROR_NO_REPLY,
(gdb)
dbus_message_new_error (reply_to=0x5b2d00,
     error_name=0x2b6f0825c6e8 "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply",
     error_message=0x2b6f0825e250 "Did not receive a reply. Possible
causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message
bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
network connection w"...) at dbus-message.c:1200

The messagebus is running.
/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket exists with permissions rw for all.
I have seen quite a few such messages on bulletin boards with never an
explanation.
Can you guys suggest how I debug why no reply is coming from the
messagebus ? To me this is nasty - nothing concrete to investigate
further, just a dead end. How do I debug why the messagebus didn't reply
? Permissions, userid, wrong name, wrong socket ? How to debug something
that won't reply ?
I'm not asking you guys to debug it for me, but to point me in a
direction where I can help myself.
thanks
Rod