python dbus Introspect() causes server to core

tsuraan tsuraan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 10:30:33 PST 2007

On 10/01/07, Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 at 13:26:48 -0600, tsuraan wrote:
> > I'm running with python 2.4.3, dbus-1.0.1, and dbus-python-0.71 from the
> > Gentoo repositories.
>
> Any special/experimental CFLAGS? (Sorry, I have to ask, it's Gentoo :-)

No, it's just -O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe.  Nothing too interesting :)

> (gdb) bt
> > #0  0xb7ceda93 in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6
> > #1  0xb7e32365 in PyString_FromString () from
> /usr/lib/libpython2.4.so.1.0
> > #2  0xb7b90b3e in ?? ()
> >   from /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dbus/dbus_bindings.so
> > #3  0x00000000 in ?? ()
> >
> > I'll be digging into this for a bit, but just in case, is Introspection
> on
> > python-based dbus servers known to fail?
>
> No, it's meant to work, and 0.71 seems OK on Python 2.4 (doesn't compile
> on 2.5, though). Can you get a backtrace with debug symbols, at least
> for dbus_bindings (which is part of dbus-python) and preferably for Python
> too? "bt full" with debug symbols available would be ideal. You seem to
> have some stack smashing there that wiped out frame 3, though, so the
> backtrace might not be entirely trustworthy...

dbus_bindings was compiled with debugging symbols; I'm currently
re-compiling python with -g as well, so once that finishes I'll try to give
a better stack trace.  Although, it looks like python does have its
debugging symbols, since frame 1 knows it's in PyString_FromString.  Maybe
address two is corrupted as well?  Anyhow, I'll give another backtrace once
python is done recompiling.

I'm hoping to release a new version of dbus-python soon, in which the C
> part (dbus_bindings) has been rewritten, so you're unlikely to encounter
> the same bug in the new version (although *other* bugs remain possible).
> If you're happy with running pre-release code, there are some
> release candidate versions available (see list archives) if you want to
> try it out.

I'll give the pre-release code a shot.  I'm all about instability :)