DBUS policies and NetworkManager problems

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 10:06:58 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 11:48 +0000, Eugéne Suter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've built NetworkManager, but can't get it to start. I was told by a
> member at the NetworkManager mailing list that the problem is most
> likely DBUS related.

No, it is slackware config issue.  Slackware by default does not have
support for pam.  D-Bus assumes pam_console is being used for security
profiles.  If you want to run in your current configuration you must
change /etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-applet.conf which looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
        <policy user="root">
                <allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>

                <allow
send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>
                <allow
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>
        </policy>
        <policy at_console="true">
                <allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>

                <allow
send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>
                <allow
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>
        </policy>
        <policy context="default">
                <deny own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>

                <deny
send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>
                <deny
send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>
        </policy>
</busconfig>

You need to change the at_console flag to something like group="netdev"
and then create that group and add any users you wish to use nm applet
to the netdev group.