Fwd: Circular calls with DBUS

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Mar 23 07:54:09 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 10:41 +0100, Jacques Guillou wrote:
> Is there a way to configure the GLib binding in such a way that an
> incoming message can be preocessed even if the main loop execution is
> stopped into a synchronous call (waiting for its answer) ?
> Would that be safe ?

You can try threading but I think even then there is a possibility of
deadlocking and timing out with blocking calls.

> I really think using asynchronous calls only would make a system much
> more complex than it would be if synchronous calls were allowed.

async is really just a design pattern.  It seems more complex because
you are not used to it but it is the right thing to do things if you
want to be able to call back into your app without deadlocking.  It is
similar to listening to signals or setting up idle handlers in gtk.