Fwd: Re: just what is a Tube?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 11:54:02 PDT 2007

Thomas Zander wrote:
> I've been having some discussions about how to set up a communications
> protocol between different wordprocessors and different bibliographic
> software with the OOo people. (Mathias Bauer specifically).
> We kind of hit a dead end in that their idea was that DBUs was not mature
> enough and that UNU (the OOo IPC layer) would be a much better choice.

This is sort of odd, dbus is certainly mature now that it's at 1.0, but
more importantly UNO is not an IPC layer, it's an object/component
system... (the dbus FAQ has some discussion of why I think this is an
important distinction - in short UNO is like QObject/COM/XPCOM, not like
DCOP/D-Bus/DCOM/SOAP)

You could do "UNO bindings" for D-Bus in the same way that we have Qt
bindings and Java bindings.

UNO may have an IPC system of its own (I don't know), but that should
not prevent having a D-Bus remoting layer also when openoffice needs to
interoperate with the other apps and the desktop.