KDE using /usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Oct 16 11:33:51 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 14:29 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David Zeuthen wrote:
> > As we haven't settled on this yet [1] could the KDE people please
> > refrain from using this directory and instead move their files somewhere
> > else until we have figured out how to do this properly?
>
> It may be all we're missing here is writing in the spec that
> dbus-1/interfaces in XDG base dirs will contain files named
> interfacename.xml; inside each file is that interface only, in the
> introspection format; the files are to be used for generating static
> language bindings for the interface, but for runtime purposes the
> dynamic Introspect() call is preferred. Or something like that, whatever
> the details are.

Yeah, that, and the thing about that neither GNOME, KDE, XFCE nor
someone else should provide things like org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver.xml
files; rather these should originate from a tarball provided by
freedesktop.org; e.g. the people maintaining said standard interface.

Maybe we want another extension than .xml too.

It's not rocket science; we basically just need someone to send a patch
to the spec detailing this... and then review it and commit it.

     David