building dbus and its configure options

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Aug 22 06:29:08 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 14:36 +0200, Fritz Code wrote:
> I still have this really strange problem and its makes me sort of sad.
>
> I've tried everything so far, I have started configure with
> --with-system-socket=/tmp/.dbus.socket
> but anyway e.g dbus-monitor doesn't start with the error:
>
> Failed to open connection to system message bus: Failed to connect to
> socket /opt/devel/toolchains/arm9/arm-linux/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

Have you looked at your config.log to figure out if this is being set
correctly?  You should see a #define DBUS_SYSTEM_SOCKET somewhere in
there.  I just did a fresh compile with that option and
running ./dbus-monitor --system in the tools folder gives me this error:

Failed to open connection to system message bus: Failed to connect to
socket /tmp/.dbus.socket: No such file or directory

So it is working.

> The same problem with dbus-daemon:
>
> Failed to start message bus: Failed to open
> "/opt/devel/toolchains/arm9/arm-linux/etc/dbus-1/system.conf": No such
> file or directory

If you are installing to there why hasn't the config files been
installed there?

> So somehow I can't get the prefix (which i have specified
> (--prefix= /opt/devel/toolchains/arm9/arm-linux) out of dbus.

That is because that is what prefix does.  It prefixes all the
directories with that value.  What exactly are you trying to do?  If you
are trying to run D-Bus in place without installing it somewhere you
need to send the daemon some switches to tell it where to find its
configuration files and it is not recommended unless you know what you
are doing because you can run into issues that you would not normally
see due to misconfiguration.