dbus 1.1.20 and MandrivaLinux

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Mar 17 19:25:14 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 12:02 -0500, David Stockwell wrote:
> I am working with BlueZ 3.27, which is moving toward use of DBus x.x.
> Things were moving along quite well, but one of the BlueZ messages
> "FindServices" was not recognized properly as having a string
> parameter.  Investigating further, I saw that the version of DBus
> installed with my copy of MandrivaLinux 2007 was quite out of date
> (0.94?).
>
> So...I downloaded and installed 1.1.20 and now nothing works at all.
> Primary symptom is the message returned when I try my first call:
>
> The name org.bluez was not provided by any .service files

Ignore this message.  bluez should be started in the init scripts
via /etc/init.d/bluetooth.  Since we can't distinguish services which
are not started and services which should be autostarted but lack a
service file we have that blanket error message since technically you
could autostart it (but the app may not be designed to be on demand).

BTW you most likely do not want to arbitrary upgrade D-Bus, though since
1.0.0 we have maintained ABI older version do not have that guarantee.
Since D-Bus is very much a system library if things break they will
break spectacularly and if you have installed one over the other without
uninstalling chances are older binaries are still pointing to the older
library.