future of at_console

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Aug 5 17:45:17 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Lennart Poettering<mzqohf at 0pointer.de> wrote:

> 2) Keep it but replace the dreaded pam_atconsole /var/run/console
> checking mess we still have there with a tiny bit of code that
> actually reads the ckit database. We don't need to maintain that
> database twice and this would allow us to get fully rid of
> pam_atconsole. I'd be wiling to prep a patch for this, too.

Ah I see, it's a desktop file format and we have a parser.  Well, if
you're willing to do this patch I'd definitely prefer being
conservative here.  Though if someone's run a grep through say Fedora,
OpenSUSE or Debian archives and not found anything still depending on
at_console, that'd be convincing.