D-Bus 1.3.0 released

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 17:11:40 PDT 2009

2009/8/7 Lennart Poettering <mzqohf at 0pointer.de>:
> On Fri, 07.08.09 01:51, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:

>> > OK, this patch set is now ready. Was a bit more work then I estimated,
>> > a series of 8 patches.
>> >
>> > Here's the repo:
>> >
>> >       http://git.0pointer.de/?p=dbus.git
>> >        git://git.0pointer.de/dbus.git
>> >
>> > This also includes a patch that enables the new automake 1.11 silent
>> > build for D-Bus.
>> Please use
>> m4_ifdef([AM_SILENT_RULES], [AM_SILENT_RULES([yes])])
>> instead and don't enforce a newer version an silent-rules in AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
>> automake 1.11 is not so widespread yet to enforce it on everyone
>> building from git.
> How does that matter? Automake is only required for folks who build
> from git, i.e. developers. And those should not have a problem with
> keeping there system up-to-date.
> I do see value that the tarball stays compilable on older
> distributions, since it is used by admins and other non-developer
> folks. But the git tree? If someone uses that he should be expected to
> keep his things up-to-date.
> 1.11 is two months old already now.

silent-rules is not a crucial feature, so it doesn't really cost you
anything to keep the support optional.
I'm not sure if every developer (or tester ftm) is running the latest
bleeding edge distro.
I personally won't install automake-1.11 from sources just to
(test-)compile dbus.

It also makes it easier for distros, in case they need to patch the
build system and rerun the autotools.

universe are pointed away from Earth?