Debugging dbus

Dave Wood dave at unrealize.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 08:22:12 PST 2009

I'm trying to find out why I no longer have device icons pop up in kde and xfce.

I've so far verified that the kernel is recognising the device through dmesg,
and that udev is creating a device in /dev for it. Next thing seems to be to
debug dbus and hal and that's where I'm stuck at the moment.

If I run dbus-monitor I get the following:

  dbus-monitor --session:

  signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=:1.3 serial=2 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus;
  member=NameAcquired
     string ":1.3"
  method call sender=:1.3 -> dest=org.freedesktop.DBus serial=3 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus;
  member=AddMatch
     string "type='method_call'"
  method call sender=:1.3 -> dest=org.freedesktop.DBus serial=4 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus;
  member=AddMatch
     string "type='method_return'"
  method call sender=:1.3 -> dest=org.freedesktop.DBus serial=5 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus;
  member=AddMatch
     string "type='error'"

  dbus-monitor --system:

signal sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> dest=:1.3 serial=2 path=/org/freedesktop/DBus; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus;
  member=NameAcquired
     string ":1.3"

When I run these commands and plug in a usb stick I don't see any further
output.

Is "string "type='error'" significant here?

I'm not too sure what is supposed to happen or what I am looking for.
So far 2 boxes have succumbed to this problem. I have reinstalled
udev, hal, and dbus, tried testing with a new user account but nothing
seems to work.

There is nothing in the system logs to show that there is a problem
with dbus and in fact it might be hal that has the problem, but I've no
way of telling at the moment.

This is on slackware 12.2
2.6.27.7 kernel
dbus 1.2.12
xfce 4.4.3

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

--
Your lucky number is 3552664958674928.  Watch for it everywhere.