Debugging dbus

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Tue Jan 13 13:34:08 PST 2009

Dave Wood wrote:
> I'm trying to find out why I no longer have device icons pop up in kde and xfce.
>
> I've so far verified that the kernel is recognising the device through dmesg,
> and that udev is creating a device in /dev for it. Next thing seems to be to
> debug dbus and hal and that's where I'm stuck at the moment.

Trying to debug hal would make much more sense. First of all you can
analyze the output of lshal command to see if hal has the related device
entries in its global device list. If you see a problem there, try
running the hal daemon manually without daemonising it and enabling and
plug a device. Observe the whole output to catch some problems. I'm
doing this with the following commands:

killall hald
/usr/sbin/hald --verbose=yes --daemon=no 2&> hald.log

If HAL seems to not detect anything at all, it may be related to udev/udev rules. A recent HAL or udev
update may possibly break the whole stuff.

--

Ozan Çağlayan
<ozan_at_pardus.org.tr>