per-user dbus

Stef Walter stef-list at memberwebs.com
Wed Nov 11 07:34:20 PST 2009

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> I believe that gnome-keyring data is inherently per-user and not
> per-session. gnome-keyring is one of those services that should move
> from session to user and have the same lifecycle as the user bus:
> i.e. as long as at least one dbus-launch is running.

Makes sense.

One problem would be that of API breakage.

For example, we're now finalizing the DBus Secret Service API (which
gnome-keyring will use in the future). It's being implemented on the
session bus. To later move it to another (new) bus would be a
significant API break, wouldn't it?

It seems this would be the case for many other deployed DBus APIs.

Cheers,

Stef