per-user dbus

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at
Fri Nov 13 14:12:55 PST 2009

On Wed, 11.11.09 13:17, Simon McVittie (simon.mcvittie at wrote:

> Another practical point about the user bus is that the bus to be on should
> be considered to be part of the API/ABI, so changing it should be a "flag day"
> like any other API break (in the case of Telepathy we'd wait until we're
> breaking API anyway, which we plan to do once before Telepathy 1.0).

You could provide the interfaces on two busses for a while if a soft
upgrade path is important. But honestly I don't thing that would even
be necessary. Are there that many Telepathy clients on the normal
desktop these days? It's mostly empathy, right? So if you update
telepathy and empathy in one piece in most distros, things should be
fine, shouldn't they?

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net           GnuPG 0x1A015CC4