Zeromq vs. dbus

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Aug 5 13:37:52 PDT 2010

On Thursday 5. August 2010 17.02.53 Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Havoc Pennington <hp at pobox.com> wrote:
> > It's apples and oranges. (though I'm sure zeromq is much faster.) dbus
> > has nothing to do with distributed messaging really, and does a lot of
> > stuff that isn't done by a system like zeromq.
>
> Right. I was thinking whether zeromq is outrageously faster than dbus
> (for applications where zeromq is enough), or whether it's just ~ 2
> times faster. It might also be interesting to use file descriptor
> passed by dbus for zeromq messaging.

Again, you're comparing apples and oranges.

D-Bus uses Unix sockets with message semantics. But it has a lot on top of
that. And the worst part where D-Bus loses performance is the message
validation. So it's  not really fair to compare a system that sends bytes over
the wall to the other side, to a system that not only understands what those
bytes are, but also validates them.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358