Zeromq vs. dbus

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 13:52:35 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

> D-Bus uses Unix sockets with message semantics. But it has a lot on top of
> that. And the worst part where D-Bus loses performance is the message
> validation. So it's  not really fair to compare a system that sends bytes over
> the wall to the other side, to a system that not only understands what those
> bytes are, but also validates them.

Obviously the comparison would tell nothing about the quality of the
implementations (because in 0mq there isn't much of implementation to
go aroung with anyway), but I can imagine IPC use cases where
programmer would naturally reach for dbus without needing all the
features provided by dbus (but suffering the non-optional performance
hit anyway).

--
Ville M. Vainio @@ Forum Nokia