Announcing dbus 1.6.0

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Jun 5 07:36:54 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 15:27 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> It's about time we had a new stable branch, and if I wait any longer for
> people to review more patches it'll be too late for Debian 7. So, here's
> D-Bus 1.6:

Thanks Simon!  Believe it or not, I had actually just typed up the
following to send this morning when I saw this mail; are there any
other gotchas to look out for?

I'd like to discuss what the outstanding issues are for turning the 1.5
branch into 1.6.  The main thing we should focus on is potentially
incompatible changes.

Scanning through NEWS:

* Do not allow match rules to "eavesdrop" (receive messages intended for
a different recipient) by mistake: eavesdroppers must now opt-in to this
behaviour by putting "eavesdrop='true'" in the match rule, which will
not have any practical effect on buses where eavesdropping is not
allowed (fd.o #37890, Cosimo Alfarano)
* Make dbus_threads_init() use the same built-in threading
implementation as dbus_threads_init_default(); the user-specified
primitives that it takes as a parameter are now ignored (fd.o #43744,
Simon McVittie)

Is there anything else?  The output of "git shortlog dbus-1.4..master"
is smaller than I'd thought it might be.  Did e.g. the changes
to split threadsafety from OOM handling in libdbus land at all?