Announcing dbus 1.6.0

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 07:48:20 PDT 2012

(Removing ftp-release from cc, this is not an announcement)

On 05/06/12 15:36, Colin Walters wrote:
> The output of "git shortlog dbus-1.4..master"
> is smaller than I'd thought it might be.

If you review my patches, it can get larger. :-P

> Did e.g. the changes
> to split threadsafety from OOM handling in libdbus land at all?

No; sorry, I'm not going to do major architectural things for a
relatively far-future benefit if user-visible fixes go for multiple
months without comment.

Forking dbus into a thread-safe library for apps (QtDBus etc.) and an
OOM-safe library for critical system services (dbus-daemon, systemd,
Upstart etc.) also seems like a bad move when we're still clearing out
"technical debt" from libdbus (e.g. I'd still like to have
scatter-gather I/O for message headers, so we can remove the ability to
insert into the middle of a message, for massive simplification).

The amount of time I can devote to D-Bus has reduced since 2011, so
please don't rely on me to maintain it - D-Bus needs to be a team
effort. (Not that that trying to maintain it alone would work anyway,
unless we remove the code review policy, which I think would be a very
bad idea.)