DBus Python Bindings

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo at geek-central.gen.nz
Wed Jul 24 00:45:59 UTC 2019

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 12:32:41 +0200, John Mercouris wrote:

> ... I'm interested in the official bindings for Python D-Bus ...

Are you using Python 3.5 or later? If so, let me recommend coding
against the standard asyncio
<https://docs.python.org/3/library/asyncio.html> event-loop API. This
lets you write event-loop-agnostic code that will work pretty much
unchanged against asyncio-compatible wrappers for all the usual
event-loop libraries.

For example, for GLib/GTK, there is gbulb
<https://github.com/nathan-hoad/gbulb>, or my own less ambitious
glibcoro <https://github.com/ldo/glibcoro>.

Unfortunately, it didn’t seem easy to retrofit asyncio compatibility to
dbus-python, so I wrote my own libdbus wrapper in pure Python
<https://github.com/ldo/dbussy>.