dbus-python, pydbus, dbussy, or something else?

W. Martin Borgert debacle at debian.org
Thu Jul 25 13:49:17 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm currently working on a Python application that uses dbus. (System:
Debian 10/buster, Python 3, armel, relatively small and underpowered,
the kind of hardware where you want to use C, not Python, but...)

Currently, the good old dbus-python is used, but I'm not sure whether
this is still the "best" module to use. I'm aware, that dbus-python is
not thread safe, for example.

I'm considering pydbus, but it is based on gi, which I like to avoid,
mainly because crosscompilation of everything gi related seems to be
difficult. Also, it's five times larger.

Now I learnt about dbussy, which looks pretty cool. It's not packaged
for Debian yet, but that can be changed easily (ITP on the way). Are
there any other known problems with it?

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DBusBindings/ mention also
QtDBus (needs Qt, not an option for me), txdbus (needs Twisted, not an
option for me), and Jeepney, which is declared "experimental"...

Any recommendations in favour or against one or the other? TIA!

Cheers