dbus-python missing documentation

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Mon Jul 29 12:29:36 UTC 2019

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 10:26:52 +0200, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> Is there any reason why this function isn't documented?

That would be a bug. Bugs in dbus-python are tracked in
<https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus-python/issues> and solutions
can be proposed via
<https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus-python/merge_requests>.

It looks as though
https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-python/dbus.connection.html only
documents the API implemented in Python in dbus.connection.Connection,
and not the methods inherited from the underlying C implementation
_dbus_bindings.Connection. The documentation used to be built using
epydoc, which documented inherited methods by default, but now that
epydoc is deprecated and unmaintained the documentation has been
converted to sphinx, which doesn't document inherited methods by default.

dbus-python git master should hopefully fix this: please try commit
<https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus-python/commit/84ae9f5fa249fa85a2567a331b9a321aee6c809c>.

If the solution is more involved than that, I am unlikely to be able to
work on it myself but I'd be happy to review merge requests.

    smcv