OpenTelemetry tracing of Dbus calls

Umut Tezduyar Lindskog umut at tezduyar.com
Wed Nov 30 07:53:02 UTC 2022

Hi,

We are looking into a standardized way of distributed tracing and
OpenTelemetry standard has been a winner so far. To be able to do a
distributed tracing a context needs to be passed from node to node,
application to application, process to process. This is called “Context
Propagation” in their terms. There are standard & built-in ways of
propagating calls in HTTP, grpc etc without changing the APIs.

We have network services that have a web API layer and a Dbus based service
layer. API talks to service and service might be talking to other services.
We can trace all the way from the cloud to the web API layer with minor
code additions. I believe OpenTelemetry tracing at the DBus layer would be
very valuable for the overall picture for similar use cases.

Has there been any discussions about OpenTelemetry, integration of context
propagation to Dbus. If not, what are the suggestions regarding tracing
Dbus APIs. Is there a way to hook in lttng or ePBF to dbus protocol (or to
the daemon) and convert their signals to OpenTelemetry traces?

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Umut