coordination around missing upstream

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sat Apr 19 11:50:56 PDT 2008

Hello,

(I am Patrice Dumas, a fedora packager and I have some experience
collaborating with debian packagers on some packages, cernlib, tex4ht,
t1lib).

When an upstream is not active anymore, I think that it would be nice
if the distribution maintainer could take responsibility of hosting the
project and accept patches. Otherwise we cannot send patches upstream
anymore and all the distributions create forks.

What would you think about using this list to coordinate such issues,
that is communicating that an upstream seems not to accept patches
anymore, and trying to find who is ready to host the project,
and communicate where it can be found then. People reading the list
could then forward the infos to the releavant people in the
distributions.

Do you think it would be a good use of the list?

--
Pat