Distributions Wiki; xvendor list

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Mon Apr 21 09:09:34 PDT 2008

(Cced xvendor@)

On 21/04/08 at 10:56 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le mercredi 16 avril 2008, à 21:38 +0400, Solar Designer a écrit :
> > The xvendor list is actually quite similar to this one:
> >
> > 	http://www.openwall.com/lists/xvendor/2002/08/19/1
> > 	http://www.openwall.com/lists/xvendor/2008/04/14/1
> >
> > and we're currently trying to figure out what to do about this:
> >
> > 	http://www.openwall.com/lists/xvendor/2008/04/16/2
> >
> > Suggestions / votes by the current distributions list members are
> > appreciated (perhaps change the Subject on replies on this topic only,
> > as it's not directly related to your wiki).  Also, feel free to join the
> > xvendor list (empty message to xvendor-subscribe at lists.openwall.com,
> > then confirm) and post your thoughts in there, if you like.
>
> Didn't know about xvendor. Was it private until very recently? This
> could explain things.

I didn't know about it either, and nobody pointed me to it when I asked
questions about various distro last fall.
On xvendor, there was 10 messages in 2004, 6 messages in 2005, 2
messages in 2006, 0 in 2007, and 18 in 2008, most of them about
"revitalizing the list".

It is unfortunate that such a list existed before, and nobody noticed
and told me. Given that there are currently 40-50 subscribers on
xvendor, vs 140-150 on distributions at lists.freedesktop.org, and that
freedesktop.org sounds like a better umbrella project than openwall.com,
I think that we should simply ask the xvendor subscribers to subscribe
to distributions at lists.freedesktop.org if they are interested.

Also, if someone from xvendor@ wants to help with distributions@'s
moderation, help is welcomed.

> So, yeah, not quite sure how to move forward wrt this. Looks to me like
> both lists are trying to reach the same goals at the moment. I'm not
> convinced this would work well to keep them both, each with a restricted
> set of topics, since we'll miss some people in both lists in this case.

I agree that restricting the topics is not a good idea, and won't work.
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |