Conflicting filenames in upstream packages

Donnie Berkholz dberkholz at gentoo.org
Mon Aug 4 09:49:41 PDT 2008

On 09:41 Mon 04 Aug     , Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> How do other distributions deal with conflicting filenames in upstream
> packages?  For instance, in Fedora we have coda-client and coq packaged.
>  They both provide /usr/bin/parser.
>
> Our policy is to rename one or both of those to a new name so that users
> can install both packages if they desire.  However, that does pose the
> problem of inconsistency with upstream and other distros (we want our
> packagers to ping upstream first, of course, but they aren't always
> amenable to changing the name.)
>
> If other distros have a policy of name changing, it would be nice to
> start a list of packages that we're doing renames to so that we could at
> least have consistency between ourselves.

We try to change the name of whichever one is less well-known and less
likely to be scripted. If neither package qualifies for that, we make
them mutually exclusive. There's no standardized way of doing renames,
though, so tracking them all down could be very painful.

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz