Terminal Standard

Benjamin Bruheim grolgh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 08:31:33 PDT 2008

>  Exactly, having each terminal set its own TERM is a maintenance nightmare, I
>  can vouch that all the keys including ctrl+alt+shift cursor keys now send the
>  same ESC-sequences in xterm as they do in gnome-terminal and in konsole. They
>  do that as I've been filing bugs against them with patches attached, for all
>  the cases where they send different ESC-sequences as the original xterm.

I agree. It is too much to expect that all applications will support
all terminals. Further those apps that are configurable will then have
to be configure on basis of the terminal that will be used. I think
standardizing on xterm unless the terminal has notable differences is
a sound strategy.

\\ benjamin