Terminal Standard

Thomas de Grenier de Latour tom.gl at free.fr
Wed Mar 19 13:46:09 PDT 2008

> Vincent Untz wrote:
> > Then gnome-terminal should be fixed :-) Do you have any details, so
> > bugs can be filed?

Xterm can answer to various queries about the colors it uses and things
like that.  That's a feature which could, for instance, allow apps to
choose some suitable fg colors depending on the terminal bg.
Xtermcontrol implements various such queries, and displays the terminal
answers.  It works fine in xterm, but doesn't in gnome terminal
(--get-title being the only --get-something option i've found working
in gnome terminal 2.18.4).
Now, is this a bug?  I don't think so, it's a missing feature, and
since i don't really care  about it, i won't fill an enhancement
request.  The only bug, but it's a well known WONTFIX / INVALID one
for various reasonable reasons, is that gnome terminal claims being an
xterm despite it's not 100% compatible.

On 2008/03/19, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
> Exactly, having each terminal set its own TERM is a maintenance
> nightmare

Seems you're right.  I've searched a bit more about what happened in
Gentoo on this topic after the proposal i have pointed previously, and
actually it has been partially implemented back in 2006.  But then they
went back to "TERM=xterm for all" after a few months, because of too
much remaining issues.

--
TGL.