r127 w/ KMS on PPC?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 17:38:45 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Alex Buell <alex.buell at munted.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 07:55 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
>> > I'd like to step up for that, it'd let me learn a lot. I have
>> already
>> > extracted the r128 and its DRI from the 2.6.32 kernel tree and built
>> > them as modules and they both work just fine, with the binary
>> firmware.
>> > What's involved in making KMS work on PPC? I'm sure I need the KMS
>> > helpers and the TTM module as well right?
>>
>> For r128, it could actually re-use a lot of the radeon KMS code, in
>> fact nearly all of it.
>>
>> Alex Deucher started doing a UMS merge of radeon/r128 at one point
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/xf86-video-ati/log/?h=r128-support
>>
>> the main things would be adding the differences in the bios parsing,
>> and modesetting paths to KMS first.
>
> I'll start digging into the Radeon, see what I can learn about KMS
> integration. For now I'll build the r128 out of the tree, simplifies
> things a bit. Is that OK?
>
> Any further reading would be tremendously helpful.

It should be pretty easy to get kms going with r128 by integrating it
into the radeon drm and ddx.  The hard part will be porting the r128
3D driver to kms.  Also, kms support for r128-based macs will be a bit
trickier than x86 because the boards don't have an x86 video bios.
You may have to look at the xf86-video-r128 ddx and atyr128 kernel fb
driver for properly setting up the cards without an x86 bios.  Let me
know if you have any questions.

Alex