[RFC 4/4] drm: Add NVIDIA Tegra support

Lucas Stach dev at lynxeye.de
Thu Apr 12 16:10:18 PDT 2012

Am Mittwoch, den 11.04.2012, 15:18 +0000 schrieb Arnd Bergmann:
> On Wednesday 11 April 2012, Thierry Reding wrote:
> >   * Daniel Vetter wrote:

> > > Well, you use the iommu api to map/unmap memory into the iommu for tegra,
> > > whereas usually device drivers just use the dma api to do that. The usual
> > > interface is dma_map_sg/dma_unmap_sg, but there are quite a few variants
> > > around. I'm just wondering why this you've choosen this.
> >
> > I don't think this works on ARM. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture but
> > judging by a quick look through the kernel tree there aren't any users that
> > map DMA memory through an IOMMU.
>

> dma_map_sg is certainly the right interface to use, and Marek Szyprowski has
> patches to make that work on ARM, hopefully going into v3.5, so you could
> use those.

Just jumping in here to make sure everyone understands the limitations
of the Tegra 2 GART IOMMU we are talking about here. It has no isolation
capabilities and a really small remapping window of 32MB. So it's
impossible to remap every buffer used by the graphics engines. The only
sane way to handle this is to set aside a chunk of stolen system memory
as VRAM and let a memory manager like TTM handle the allocation of
linear regions and GART mappings. This means a more tight integration of
the DRM driver and the IOMMU, where I think that using the IOMMU API
directly and completely controlling the GART from one driver is the
right way to go for a number of reasons, where my biggest concern is
that we can't implement a sane out-of-remapping space when we go through
the dma_map API.

It's too late for me to go into the details now, but I wanted to make it
clear that I think that using the IOMMU only and exclusively from the
DRM driver with a high level of tie in is the way to go. If you want to
know more details I'm available to discuss this matter in the next days.

-- Lucas