drm-next update

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 09:27:20 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Ville Syrjälä
<ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 04:39:39PM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
>> Okay just pushed out a bunch of -next queued stuff,
>>
>> I've been stuck on another project for a couple of weeks and haven't
>> really being paying enough attention to -next, so this is a heads up,
>> if someone has something big they want merged this window and I
>> haven't seen it yet or merged it yet, you should probably mention it
>> in a reply to this mail with a summary of where you think its at.
>> (e.g. atomic nuclear modesetting flipping).
>
> I don't the atomic stuff is quite ready for merging yet. However my
> code is more or less feature complete now. I have implemented everything
> I planned to originally, apart from adding more properties for various
> things. And as I mentioned before, Weston is now running quite nicely
> on top of my kernel branch.
>
> What's still missing is some refactoring, and possibly some fixes. And
> hardly anyone has commented on it, so please everyone have a look and
> let me know what you think. Maybe I need to start a blog to get people
> interested...

it would be nice to at least pull in the object and signed property
type stuff from my branch, since that is effecting userspace facing
API..

All the plane/crtc/etc state object stuff doesn't effect abi so could
come later, I suppose.  It does touch a lot of drivers even if they
aren't converted to 'atomic', but OTOH I think it makes things much
cleaner and easier to 'atomicify' a driver without duplicating so much
stuff in each driver.  So long term I still think it is the right
thing.  But not sure how much more time I'll spend on it in the near
term.

BR,
-R