Native surface creation

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Fri Mar 11 14:48:48 PST 2005

Jon Smirl wrote:
> I'm trying to make sure that XGL doesn't have to run as root. This
> implies that you can't set an arbitrary mode. That's the purpose of
> the list of modes names that you can then copy to 'mode'.
>
> However, the list of mode name is created from a hotplug event that
> runs as root. Right now the user space app builds the list of names
> from EDID but it is intented to also merge in custom modes from
> /etc/fb.modes. So if you want 1184x888 at 77Hz add it to fb.modes and
> reload the fbdev driver. That will cause1184x888 at 77Hz to now appear in
> the mode list and a normal user can then select it.

So "184x888 at 77Hz" is a concrete example of a mode name?  Will that
syntax be extensible?

Suppose I want to do active stereo (i.e. alternate display of
left/right color buffers in sync with LCD glasses).  How would I name
a mode that supported stereo?

At the EGL API level, we'd probably have an opaque EGLMode handle and
a function for querying the mode's attributes (ala
eglGetConfigAttrib), another function for querying the available
modes, etc.

That's not in conflict with what you're doing, of course.  The
translation would be done in the EGL library.

> As for picking the mode, why bother with the closest match function.
> Why not just give them a list of mode names and let them pick?

Well, either the user writes a search function or we offer one in the
EGL API.  I think a mode picking function similar to eglChooseConfig()
  would be most consistent

-Brian