Native surface creation

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 15:24:11 PST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:39:03 -0500, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> On Friday 11 March 2005 17:19, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > I'm trying to make sure that XGL doesn't have to run as root. This
> > implies that you can't set an arbitrary mode. That's the purpose of
> > the list of modes names that you can then copy to 'mode'.
>
> I don't see the connection.  Why is setting a mode a privileged operation?
> Can you gain root or escape your virtual address space by changing to
> 640x480?

Setting a mode from a constrained list of mode is not a privileged
operation. Defining a new mode is since is it possible to define modes
that will destroy monitors.

> If your access control is based on u/g/o access to the DRI device, you've
> already established that the given user or group is capable of making the
> display go screwy.  They have that ability _anyway_ once the server is
> running.  How is mode setting privileged?

Access to DRI device does not give you the ability to do arbitrary
things to the registers. The command checker is supossed to stop that.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com