EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 4

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Mar 23 17:28:49 PST 2005

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 20:12, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:54:45 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
> > Will not work in practice. /etc/blah won't have nowledge of all lying
> > monitors on the planet any time soon. Again, let's follow the common
> > usage here, which is to expose the refresh rate.
>
> Exposing the refresh rate means we now have to mark modes with
> EGL_OPTIMAL since selecting the highest refresh rate is not the
> optimal choice for an LCD. It also means EGL should not sort on
> refresh since that will order the lists incorrectly for LCDs. I would
> like to make sure that the first mode in the list is always what the
> lower layer thinks is the optimal mode.

Um.  Did you read the proposal at all?

#    7. How should the notion of a screen's "native" mode be expressed?
#       For example, LDC panels have a native resolution and refresh rate
#       that looks best but other sub-optimal resolutions may be supported.
#
#       The mode attribute EGL_OPTIMAL_MESA will be set for modes which
#       best match the screen.  [M. Danzer]

And then below where it says that EGL_OPTIMAL configs get bumped to the head
of the list (ie, have sort priority 1).

> I also don't see that if the user has the knowledge to adjust for a
> lying monitor at the EGL layer why they wouldn't have the knowledge to
> adjust the mode file in /etc.

Knowledge is one thing, write access is another.  By your own argument you
don't want the modelist file to be world-writable, since otherwise you could
destroy monitors.

- ajax