EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 4

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 17:41:39 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:28:49 -0500, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> #    7. How should the notion of a screen's "native" mode be expressed?
> #       For example, LDC panels have a native resolution and refresh rate
> #       that looks best but other sub-optimal resolutions may be supported.
> #
> #       The mode attribute EGL_OPTIMAL_MESA will be set for modes which
> #       best match the screen.  [M. Danzer]
>
> And then below where it says that EGL_OPTIMAL configs get bumped to the head
> of the list (ie, have sort priority 1).

I don't really like building knowledge of display technology types
into the EGL sort rules. Refresh is an important attribute for CRTs,
optimal is important to LCDs. What is the important attribute for a
plasma display, how about a DLP projector? Are we going to have to
rewrite the sort rules every time a new display technology is
developed?

Take the switch from CRTs to LCDs as an example of this. When we only
had CRTs you always wanted to sort on refresh. But then LCDs came
along. Now sorting on refresh gives the wrong answer and you want
optimal on top. I'm sure new technology will disrupt the sort order
again sometime in the future.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com