[Fontconfig] fontconfig configuration file

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Jul 23 07:38:08 EST 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:

>> That makes me think that you have multiple libfontconfig installed -- some
>> using non-existent config.
>
> I did a locate and there is only one libfontconfig on my system.

locate doesn't tell you what is currently on your system -- unless you
rebuild the locate database immediately before running locate.

>>  strings /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so | egrep "/.*(conf|font)"
>>
>> Or wherever your libfontconfig is at.
>>
>> That worked for me on two systems to show where my configuration directory
>> was at.
>
> It returns
> /fonts.cache-1
> ~/.fonts.cache-1
> /etc/fonts
> /usr/share/fonts
>
> there is a config file in /etc/fonts, but not in /usr/share/fonts, that
> directory doesn't exist.
>
> what to do now?

Use strace -f to follow all children. (Be sure to capture stderr.) And
then search through the tens of thousands of lines for what triggered the
error.

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/