[Fontconfig] fixed width fonts appear bold

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Thu Mar 23 08:57:37 PST 2006

For a long time now I strugle with support for bitmap fonts in GTK
applications. Finally I've installed newer fontconfig library (version
2.32) and added link to /etc/fonts/conf.d/yes-bitmaps.conf. So now in
font selection dialog I see family Fixed. There are various styles for
it. But when I try to select style SemiCondensed I get bold font. In
fact there's style "Bold SemiCondensed", but they both appear to be the
same. What could be the problem here?

Also, I have cyrillic bitmap fonts in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic
directory. For whatever reason the fonts.cache-1 file in it is empty,
fc-cache -v says

fc-cache: "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic": caching, 0 fonts, 0 dirs

Why doesn't it find any fonts in it, when regular xlsfont lists all
fonts from that directory?

Thank you