[Fontconfig] Variable fonts redux

Jerry Casiano jerrycasiano at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 19:10:05 UTC 2017

On Sep 18, 2017 3:01 PM, "Behdad Esfahbod" <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

Yes and no.  Non-variable fonts and named-instances of variable fonts
continue to work as before.  Variable-font patterns will get weight and
width as ranges instead of double, and old clients will fail fetching
width/weight.

Nice.

I was afraid it would mean they just fail outright. But this is good. :-)

> Also, does this mean that a font such as Voto Serif GX will list 500
> different variations in a font selector dialog?

Yes.

Oh, not so good...

Doubt fonts with large amounts of variations are going to be popular with
users of that's the case.

However, for my use case I can see a workaround to this, I think.

Thanks!