[fprint] Microcontroller port of nbis package

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu Sep 4 05:43:06 PDT 2014

Hey,

On Thu, 2014-09-04 at 14:29 +0200, Aydoğan Ersöz wrote:
> Dear fprint community,
>

> I'm working on a microcontroller project which embeds Fujitsu
> MBF900PFW imaging sensor on it. The microcontroller that I'm using is
> STM32F417IGH6. It has 1MB of flash memory and 196KB of RAM.
>
> I'm trying to see that if I can port libfprint into microcontroller
> world. I started from nbis part of the library. I managed to compile
> and link nbis for microcontroller. (I'm using Keil uVision 4.16 MDK as
> IDE on Windows 7)
>

> The problem is nbis consumes (consume may not be the right word but
> never mind) extremely much memory for microcontroller. There are many
> arrays that takes (20000 * 4) bytes for example.
>

> Do you have any idea that if I can port libfprint to microcontroller?
> Is it a meaningful task or not? Do I have a chance to optimize the
> memory? Do you have some simplified algorithms for lightweight usage?

The first thing to do would be to update NBIS to the latest upstream
version, NFIQ 2.0:
http://www.nist.gov/itl/iad/ig/development_nfiq_2.cfm

Our version of NBIS was imported in 2007 and this version dates back
from 2011.

If NFIQ 2.0 isn't any better in terms of memory usage, then it would
need to be fixed... NBIS doesn't seem to have a mailing-list, only an
email address, available on this page:
http://www.nist.gov/itl/iad/ig/nbis.cfm

Cheers